Friday, September 10, 2010

One year ago today...

...we received the phone call that changed our lives forever! It was about 4:00 in the afternoon. I was coming off of a phenergan-induced sleep and heard my phone vibrating beside me. (I know that the Lord woke me up...there's no way I should have heard my phone.) I answered and this is what I heard, "Shana, this is Merrily. I'm calling about a 2 1/2 year old little girl". After that, I can't really tell you what she said. I know that she told us what her situation was, a little about her health history and how she interacts with others...but other than that, I was in so much shock that I hardly heard her.

I yelled for Billie to come to the bedroom so that I could tell him. I guess shocked is the best word to describe how we both felt. We had been expecting the referral of an infant, as toddlers are very infrequently without siblings. Again, the Lord knew who we needed for our family and she was the perfect fit!

We waited for her file to be emailed a short time later and seeing her face for the first time was amazing.

I was in shock for about a week or two. I was so surprised with the whole toddler thing that I had to change my frame of mind...and that took a while for me.

The first picture we received of her that day had been taken in July during her intake paperwork. Amazing what a difference a year makes, isn't it?!?


So here we are almost 6 months home, and I have to say that it's truly by the grace of God that she's doing as well as she is. EG took to her new name almost immediately. She took to her sisters faster! Billie and I have been "mommy" and "daddy" since about week 2 or 3. She loves to sing and really enjoys praise songs. She talks ALL the time...which means that she most definitely fits in around here! She just came to me and said "I make my bed?"...wow. She seems to have no memory of her life in Ethiopia. In fact, she doesn't remember her former name. I don't know if that's a defense mechanism or not, but she's attaching wonderfully and loves to be loved on and tickled by her daddy.

I can't wait to see what the next few years mean for her in her development. We're sure to continue to be amazed!

Looking foward to seeing what God does in her life...

2 comments:

her said...

everytime I see her smile I remember that 1st photo..scared, untrusting, worried, you name thenegative and that is what I saw in her eyes. BUT NOW, wow! Her eyes tell me that she is SECURE, TRUSTING, LOVED EVERYTHING POSITIVE! By God's grace and her name is so fitting!

We loved her from the 1st photo, and are blesssed to b e called her DeeDee n Sir.

Hugs to you all!

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled about our little Ellagrace! I love her! She is a wonderful little girl and I truly believe God wanted her to be a part of our family! It's so good to see our baby smile...